There Is No Way Around Your Hair TanglingHair tangles. There is no way around it. But, the best thing to do is to make sure you take care of your hair to prevent extremely curling and matting. We’ve all had those moments where we unintentionally neglect our hair whether it be in a protective style or maybe you’ve been wearing headscarves to skip doing your hair every morning. Then, once you have the opportunity to get your hair done, you're wondering what happened. Yes, it has happened to us all.
What is Detangling?Detangling is gently separating hair strands, removing any knots and shed hair. Detangling can be quite a big task especially for those with curly and long hair.
Hair Types and Detangling
It’s good to classify a type of hair, so you’ll know exactly what kind of hair you're working with. It’s also good to know what type of products work best for your hair and the kind of maintenance your hair may require. Hair types are important because many different factors make up the kind of curl. Although someone can have the same curl type as yourself, they may have a different density, porosity, and lengths. Are there a total of four hair types: Type 1, Type 2, Type 3, and Type 4. Type 2 to 4 are broken down into subcategories of A, B, or C. Hair that is type 1 is entirely straight hair with no form of waves. Type 2 is wavy hair that has less defined curls but curved as in an “S” shape. Type 3 is curly hair with the curls much more defined with spiral coils. You can find styles of a corkscrew curl pattern. Type 4 hair is the tightest, most course type category of a coil type. Type 4 is known to be the hardest hair to manage because of the tight texture and the need for a lot of moisture when dealing with the hair. The shrinkage is real when it comes to those with Type 4 hair. To add, it is possible to have combination hair. You can have type 3C and type 4A hair. It more about your hair and the hair products your hair needs to thrive.
Reasons to Detangle Your HairIf you were like me YEARS ago, you probably didn't understand that detangling is something that is very important. Yes, I washed my hair and conditioned it, but it was still tangled. I am here to say that detangling is an essential part of your hair regimen. Yes, it takes time, and yes it’s draining, you may or make not break a comb (you shouldn’t), but if you want longer and healthy hair, this is a sacrifice that you must make. Here are reasons why you should detangle your hair:
- Preventing your hair from matting. Matted hair is the worst. You tend to lose more hair when trying to untangle it.
- Not wanting dirt to stay in the knots of the hair. Dirt tends to remain in tangled knots. This is why bacteria and dirt tend to grow in people’s hair because they don’t wash and untangle the knots.
- Promote healthier hair to thrive and grow
- Preventing breakage to your hair
- Retain length.
Best Detangling Products
- Luckily, there are
- that can help fix this problem of tangled and matted hair. So let’s get started!
1. Living Proof’s Curl Detangling Rinse
- This detangling product is a conditioner that you can apply to your hair after shampooing, but before conditioning it in the shower. The Detangling Rince is a water-activated detangler that works to manage knots and keep hair soft. The product has a great “slip” that is needed, and it leaves your hair feeling better than ever.
2. Aunt Jackie’s Knot On My Watch, Instant Leave-In Detangling Therapy
- This product is excellent for gliding through hard-to-manage hair and leaving the hair tangle-free. This product works on wet hair and dry hair alike. You can apply this product to the roots of your hair and rub it in and let it sit for a couple of minutes. This product enables the hair to become soft, and it helps the hair to be more manageable. You can use this product right after you wash your hair. It’s like the product instantly detangles your hair. If you are looking for a styling product, this one is the right one for you.
3. MAUI MOISTURE Heal & Hydrate + Shea Butter Detangler Leave-In
- For those that have wavy and thick hair that tangles like crazy, the Heal & Hydrate + Shea Butter Detangler Leave In could be great for you. It’s a great natural hair product that helps easily comb out the tangled hair. Place the product entirely in your hair and gently comb out your hair with a soft paddle brush.
4. DevaCurl No-Comb Detangling Spray Lightweight Curl Tamer
- For those who are not fond of combs, the No-Comb Conditioning Leave-In Spray is a product that helps to undo knots and tangles for wavy, curly, and super curly hair types. It’s 100% sulfate, paraben, and silicone free. It gives an easy, painless detangling with a light touch of moisture and gives off frizz-free curls. With this product, spray it on wet hair. Then, finger comb through your hair. If you’re having problems with taking out your knots with your fingers, this products helps with that. All you have to do is spray on the knot and tangle. The tangled hair easily unravels. You can use it on wet or dry curl. Some people use it as a spot detangler.
5. SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler
- Starting off with one of my favorite brands, Shea Moisture. This product most likely attracts those with 4A-4C curls. With this product, I will say that you have to use LOTS OF WATER. Yes, please use a water-filled spray bottle and spray your hair with water while using this product. It’ll work. Trust me from experience. This product brings excellent moisture. It’s a great product that doesn’t contain ingredients that can damage your hair and it’s a hot commodity in the market, especially at your local drugstore.
Tips You Can Use For Your Wash Day
- With any of the products mentioned earlier, you can successfully detangle your hair with these suggestive steps.
- Spray your hair thoroughly with water. It helps with the process it is much easier to detangle than with dry hair.
- Use conditioner on your hair before you detangle your hair.
- Part your hair into sections after your hair soaked with water and products (conditioners, oils, etc.).
- Oils, such as coconut oil are, actually, a great ingredient to use to detangle and moisture your hair.
- Finger detangling is great. You get to understand your hair, and it can be painless once you get into the groove of things.
- Use a wide tooth comb.
You're Hair Will Love You For This
- Detangling your hair is a very long and necessary process in your hair maintenance routine. Yes, it takes a while to do, and it is exhausting, but you must do it. Prevent breakage, retain length, and promote healthy hair. You hair life will increase. What do you use to detangle your hair?