Switching It UpCutting your hair is a big step and causes a noticeable difference in your appearance. So it’s only right to make sure you have the perfect cut in mind before making your way to the salon. No matter what haircut you desire, it will just look good if YOU are confident enough in yourself to rock the cut. By the end of this article, if you are thinking about cutting your hair, you will know the exact style that will work best for you and what cut will give you the best confidence.
What to Consider Before Cutting Your Hair
Make sure its the right timeYou want to cut your hair when you feel comfortable. Don’t cut your hair when there is a drastic change in your life such as a breakup or when you get some bad news. You may not want to cut it at a time like that. Cutting your hair may be used as a coping mechanism which isn’t the best decision. Cut your hair when you’re in a good mood and feel great about yourself.
Think about your hair textureYou want to consider your hair texture when cutting your hair. No matter the texture you can do any cut, but placement is the most important thing. Whether you have tight coils, loose coils, or straight hair balance is the key to making your cut look just right.
Try adding some colorThis is a great way to make your hair pop even more. It’s a fun way to keep your hair edgy and cute. Changing the color entirely or adding some highlights to make it pop is something you should consider.
Bring realistic referencesWhen going to the hair salon if you want exact results its best to bring a reference. Your hairdresser may not understand the type of cut you want just by telling them and may do something completely different. It is also essential to have a realistic reference. That means to bring in a picture of a haircut that is doable. And look for references that align with your hair type.
Your hair won’t grow overnightThis is the reason I emphasize that you make sure cutting your hair is something you want to do. If you cut your hair and you don’t like it, your hair may take awhile to get to the length you desire. Hair growth is a long process and takes a lot of patience. Make sure you get a cut you enjoy if you know you will want your hair to grow back soon.
Try a short wigIf you realize you are not ready to take this big step, you can always wear a wig until you are comfortable enough to cut your hair. You can also use a wig as a way for you to visualize the cut and see if its a change you are ready to make.
Short Hair CareWhen you cut your hair, there are different ways to care for it to keep it in tip-top shape. Long and short hair routines are not the same. Here are some hair care tips that may be helpful for you. Use fewer hair products - Having shorter hair means using less hair product. You want to make sure you don’t weigh down your hair with different kinds of serums and treatments that aren’t necessary.
Spritz your hairThis isn’t a necessary step, but if you want to give your hair more volume a great way to do that is to spritz it with water and tease it. This method works well with style such as a bob.
Take care of your endsRemember to treat your terms with special care. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair and need extra attention. Remember to moisturize them frequently and keep away excessive heat.
Condition your hair regularlyThis step never changes. Your hair continually needs moisture, and the best way to do that is to deep condition your hair often.
Be careful with your heating toolsWhen using a blow dryer, curling iron, flat iron, etc., you want to be very cautious of your hair. This step is necessary whether or not your hair is short. You want to keep your hair as healthy as possible if you are looking to grow it back.
Go for regular trims and hair maintenanceYou want to make sure your ends are being trimmed to keep your hair healthy. Go to the hairdresser to cut your hair when needed. But don’t overdo it.
Finding The Right Cut for Your Head ShapeAlthough you can sport any cut you want, there are unique looks the flatter your specific head shape. Many tips can help you find the best cut for your head shape, but first, you need to find out what your shape is.
Step 1:Figure out the fullest part of your face
- If your forehead is the fullest part of your face, with a narrower jaw, you most likely have a heart-shaped or inverted triangle shape.
- You most likely have an oval or round shape if your cheekbones are the fullest part.
- If your jaw is the fullest part of your face and you have a narrower forehead, you most likely have a pear-shaped face.
Step 2:How is your jaw shaped?
- If you have around the jaw, then you most likely have a round head shape.
- If your chin is pointy, and your cheekbones are the fullest part of your face, you have the unique diamond shape.
- You have a square-shaped face if you have a square jaw.
Step 3:How long is your face?
- If you have a short face, with equal length and width with a rounded jaw, then you have a round face shape.
- If you have an average face shape, with your face being slightly longer than it is full, then you have an oval face shape.
- For a long face shape with your face noticeably more extended than it is full.
Step 4:Do you have a widow's peak?
- If yes, and your forehead and cheekbones are the fullest part of your face, then you have a heart shape.
- If no, and you have a pointy chin, and your forehead is the fullest part of your face, then you have an inverted triangle shape.