How to Deep Condition Your Hair
Now that you know deep conditioning is for you, let’s get down to the basics of the process. Before we get started, let’s go over a few key things:
• You can deep condition your hair weekly or bi-weekly. It’s important to find a pattern that works best for your hair as well as your schedule.
• Before trying out new products, make sure you check the labels. Deep conditioning products should contain olive oil, coconut oil or avocado. These ingredients are the key to perforating the strands of your hair.
• Deep conditioners are also called “hair masks.” A lot of products use that term instead, so once again, read the labels to make sure it’s a conditioning product.
• Don’t get “product happy” and overdo it with your conditioner. I get it – we all love pouring half of a bottle of anything on our hair, but you don’t want to “drown” your strands.
Let’s start chatting about how to properly deep condition your hair.
Here are a few steps that you can incorporate into your wash day routine
1. Apply the deep conditioning product to your hair from root to end. Give extra attention to your ends because they typically dry out faster than any other portion of your hair shaft.
2. Work the product into your hair by massaging it all over your scalp and hair shaft. (I’m going to reiterate this because it’s a major key: DON’T NEGLECT THOSE ENDS!)
3. Once you saturate your hair with the product, place a plastic hair cap or shower cap over your head. If you have neither, a plastic bag will do the trick – it’s called innovative thinking!
4. For extra penetration, heat a damp towel and place it over your head completely covering the cap.
5. Let the product sit for about 20-30 minutes.
6. Using cold water (to close the hair cuticle which retains moisture), rinse the product out of your hair.
All done! Now it’s back to your regularly scheduled wash day routine.
Benefits of Deep Conditioning Your Hair
Our hair goes through a lot on a daily basis. If we’re honest, we can admit that we don’t always take the proper measures to help restore our hair after putting it through the fire.
There are many benefits of deep conditioning your hair, but the most important is that you’ll regain any moisture that you’ve lost or have always lacked from altering your hair in some way. Just like the rest of our bodies, our hair needs moisture to thrive and retain its vitality.
Deep conditioning is also a great technique that will help prevent any damage that tries to attack our hair. By taking this measure, you are protecting your hair from potential breakage and split ends.
You are also preventing damage caused by hair color since this requires strong chemicals that could potentially weaken your hair.
Our hair can sometimes lose its natural shine and luster, so deep conditioning will bring that back! Many products are designed to smooth our hair and revive the shaft from root to end which we can accomplish through the natural oils and proteins that they add to your hair.
My Top 6 Best Deep Conditioning Products
I want to share a few of my favorite deep conditioning products to give you an idea of where to start when you’re shopping in the hair store!
Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque, $14
Not only does this product smell pleasant, but it works wonders! This treatment contains powerful oils and nutrients such as Boabob oils and African Rock Fig.
Camille Rose Naturals Algae Deep Conditioner, $20
This conditioner is excellent for those of you whose hair may be thinning or becoming extremely weak because it contains Blue Green Algae which promotes hair growth.
GIOVANNI Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Conditioner, $19
This conditioner is my personal favorite because it contains infusions of organic tea tree botanicals, and it’s great for detangling thick hair. Who else has experienced the broken brush or comb after dealing with thick hair?!
Cantu Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque, $10
I also love this product because it is affordable, yet packed with 100% pure shea butter, and we all know that shea butter works miracles! This treatment is an excellent option for anyone who is battling with dry hair.
Save Your Hair’s Life by Deep Conditioning!
Using the deep conditioning method described above will strengthen your hair and give it the hair “food” that it needs to survive. Even if you think your hair is in perfect shape, you’ll still benefit from this process because we all can use an extra coat of protection.
Our hair is fragile, so we must handle it with love, care, AND conditioner! Sharing is caring! Let us know some of your favorite deep conditioning products.