I love all of the X-men movies, but I must admit my favorite character is Wolverine but when it comes to style, and the visual slay its Storm. I mean who can rock gray wigs and extensions better than Storm? She just gives me superhero and women run the world vibes. Gray extensions are a great way to show off your style, blend your natural hair with extensions, or are preparing for a bomb photo shoot. It’s your turn to slay with the gray.
Before we get started you know what we have to do. Go ahead and press play on your 90’s hits playlist. You’re going to have so much fun, and I know you’re going to rock one of these dope styles. I love sharing extensive information with you, so I’m going to share with you how to take care of your natural gray hair, how to color your extensions gray, and a variety of style options to help you discover the perfect gray style for you! I’m excited, so let’s get started!
Your Gray Hair
Your hair may be naturally gray. Most of us think people of a certain age are the only ones who have gray hair, but this is not the case. You may be wondering why does anyone get gray hair. As the number of pigment cells decreases, the hair follicle dies. As a consequence, the strand of hair contains less melanin which causes it to look gray, silver, or white as it grows.
In reality, anyone of any age can get gray hair. If you have natural gray hair, you may be trying to figure out how to remove yellow from your gray hair or how to whiten it. Some people have the salt and pepper look which is gray hairs mixed in with their melanin tinted hair strands.
Here are some maintenance tips to help remove that yellowish tint from your hair.
2. An easy DIY tip is to mix ½ cup of three percent hydrogen peroxide, water, and conditioner in a spray bottle. Spray your clean, damp hair with the mixture after you shampoo it. Do not condition your hair before applying the mixture. Comb through your hair with a wide-tooth comb and leave on for 20 minutes. Repeat the treatment once a week to keep your gray hair in tip-top shape.
I can see you smiling now! I know you’re happy to look at your grays looking so shiny and bright. Go ahead and share your pictures on Instagram and tag us @privatelabelextensions.
3. The environment can affect your hair as well. Always use a sulfate-free shampoo to help remove environmental toxins, as well as smoke (if you are a smoker or live with a smoker).
I recommend you pay attention to your diet as well. Foods high in carotene, such as carrots, can yellow your hair. Other reasons for your gray hair can be swimming or certain medications. The main thing is to figure out what works for your hair and stay consistent with it.
If you decide to go all the way gray, I say “YES”! Gray hair is so beautiful and looks amazing when you pair it with charcoal, silver, or black wardrobe choices. If you desire to get control of your gray hair, this may be a great option. Hair and outfit combinations are always a go-to in my book. People will be like “who is this” when they see the new you!
Gray Hair Inspiration
Adding gray extensions to your hair can be the makeover you’ve been wanting. Before we get into styling, let me share some bomb photos to help you figure out which of the Private Label Extensions hair you will need to order.
You know I can’t talk about gray extensions without mentioning one of my favorite icons Halle Berry as Storm in the Xmen movies! She just slays the color, and I love the style transitions.
I have to mention the actress who played Storm, when she was younger, Alexandria Shipp. She starred in the “X-men Apocalypse” movie. Her mohawk was epic, fresh, and perfect for her character.
Ellie Goulding looks gorgeous in her gray and blonde hairstyle. It fits her and her overall look.
You know this list of stylish gray looks wouldn’t be complete without our favorite style icon Rihanna. She can pull anything off! She rocks this gray hair flawlessly, and I love the transition of the color from roots to the ends.
Are you inspired? Did you see a style that you liked? Will you be rocking one of the looks? If so, which one? I want to know because I can’t wait to see your finished look.
How to Create your own Gray Hair Look
Now that you’ve got your inspiration I’m going to tell you how to color your extensions or wig gray. Take your time to get the right results. Remember Private Label Extensions has gray extensions as well as salt and pepper extensions.
You know what we have to do before we get started. Go ahead and press play on your Fifth Harmony playlist because we are about to go to work! I am sharing two different coloring options with you. The first choice is useful if you desire just one tone of gray and you want to save time.
If you’re going to add more colors, you can apply the Wella color to the hair in an ombre fashion. The second option gives me a unicorn vibe! It’s full of color and adds depth and dimension to the wig. Because different colors are being applied, I suggest you make your wig unit first and then use your color. If you’re it is already complete (or you purchased one) you are ready to get started.
- Russian blonde body wave bundles
- Mixing bowl
- Application brush
- Plastic bag
- Small whisk
- Shimmer lights shampoo
- Organix conditioner
- Wella 050 color
- 30 developer
Now that you’ve got everything you need it’s time for you to make magic happened. I am so excited because the color is going to be the bomb!
- Shampoo your extensions with your Shimmer Lights shampoo. You can either blow dry the hair or allow it to air dry.
- Lay your extensions out with a plastic sheet or trash bag underneath them after you have shampooed them. Make sure to tape down your plastic bag, so it doesn’t move.
- Comb through your extensions to remove any tangles. Put on your gloves to protect your hands and your pretty nails.
- Pour ¼ of the Wella 050 into your mixing bowl. To make your color more intense increase the amount of color to ½ a bottle or a full bottle of the Wella 050 color.
- Pour in 4.2 ounces of 30 developer into the mixing bowl with the color (4.2 ounces is one empty Wella bottle filled three times with 30 developer).
- Mix and apply your color to your extensions. Allow the color to sit for about one minute.
- Shampoo and condition your extensions.
- Lastly, blow dry them and style!
Wasn’t that easy? Now lets get into the next style.
- Russian blonde body wave bundles
- 4 Mixing Bowls
- Application Brush
- Small whisk
- Ion Brilliance Shark Blue, Violet Gray, Lavender and Titanium
- Organix Coconut Conditioner
- Shimmer Lights Shampoo
- Styrofoam head
- If you are coloring a wig, go ahead and put your wig on a wig stand and use your pins to secure it to the styrofoam head, so it doesn’t slide off while you are coloring it.
- Section the hair off into four sections and clip the hair up.
- Apply the shark blue color near the roots and apply the lavender on the ends.
- As you move up to the midsection of the wig, you will switch your color application. Once you get to the midsection apply the violet-gray color to all the hair.
- Once you get to the crown of the head add your violet gray to the roots and color the tips the lavender color.
- Allow the color to sit for a minimum of 10 hours up to a full day. You have to allow it to sit longer because you are working with light colors.
- Shampoo and condition the hair, blow dry it and straighten it.
- Style your wig or install your extensions and you are ready to slay!
I truly believe every person wants to take a chance and explore a different look now and then. Trying a new hair color is one of those ways. There’s no need to keep second guessing yourself (again).
It’s time to go for it, be bold and wow everybody who sees you. I guarantee you people will be asking you how you got such a beautiful color. I know you are thinking about it! Don’t forget to share your new look with us on Instagram @privatelabelextensions! We can’t wait to see you looking amazing!